Sunday, October 31, 2010

It is Halloween!


Trick or Treat? Happy Halloween. Remembering past years with children. This was such a magical time of year. It always makes me feel playful and like having fun. Remembering years of carving pumpkins, even (maybe especially) as an adult.

The origins of Halloween are deep in the Celtic culture and go back thousands of year. The celebration of Samhain. Traditional Irish Jack O'Lanterns were carved from turnips!


The Celts believed that at this time of year (Samhain) the border between this world and the "Otherworld" became very thin. Family ancestoral spirits were honored and evil spirits warded off. Samhain was also a time of taking stock of supplies for the winter ahead. Bonfires played a large part in celebrations. As animals were sacraficed their bones were thrown on to the fire. Sometime two fires were built side by side to usher the animal between as a purification ritual.


I think I am going to find a haunted house...or haunt this one! Happy Halloween!






2 comments:

  1. Hi there!!! Thanks for stopping by for a visit. I love your blog. I love your writing style. I love it so much that I'm following you, too!! Your life on a mini farm sounds wonderful. I'll be back soon to read more of your posts. Have a magnificent Monday!
    :)Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really enjoyed your comment Summer Gypsy! Thanks! I am following your beautiful blog and really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete