Friday, October 6, 2017

ad·jec·tive

A friend recently posted an article about losing the adjectives.  She was of the opinion, as was the article that she no doubt read, that the fewer words the better.  I read the article, then I read it again.  I guess in some sense it made sense.  In a report, in a recipe, in scientific writing, ok, it makes sense.
However, I love words!  I love adjectives and adverbs...not just nourns and verbs.  Language is made up of those words I love.  Descriptors can make a story rich, delicious and make me drool...while plain words, simple and straight to the point, in reading for pleaseure may just fall a bit short for me.  Language has rhythm, color and can be inspiring and it is words that make that happen. For example, "The breeze nipped at the back of her neck and whipped up a fine sea spray that settled on her hands, leaving sparkling salt crystals as it dried. Fairy dust, she used to call it. She breated in the fresh air and absorbed the view: tangerine sky and dove gray sea, ripples on the surface of both, like dragon scales.  She savored the sharp tang of vinegar on her tongue, letting her thoughts wander as the sun slowly melted into the sea, turning it to liquid gold." Hazel Gaynor from The Cottingly Secret.


Well there you have it.  She could have simply said the fresh sea air surrounded her as the sun set. That would be simple and a very few words...but her expressions, her liquid language drew pictures for me, complete with fairy dust and technocolor.  I for one would have misssed that exquisite description of her surroundings.  It seems it is all very subjective.  Personal preference and there will always be critics to attack and correct those preferences.

No comments:

Post a Comment