Thursday, September 15, 2011

Coyote, trickster or teacher?

Coyote has appeared many times in my life over the past few weeks. The "yip, yip, yip" at night serenaded me to sleep several nights. Then there was the indescribably eerie yip-howl that followed on one night. One single animal uttering a sound so strange I had to check to see that it was a coyote. It was just one and I ended up believing it was either sick or injured. I have never heard a sound like it before or since. Then driving home from work I saw a coyote sanding still looking toward me from a meadow by Hesperus.
I needed to know what coyote was telling me.
According to Animal Speak by Ted Andrews much magic is associated with coyote who is often called "Trickster". In many ways the coyote is to the plains Indians what raven is to the people of the Northwest...creator, teacher and keeper of magic. They both love to play and have fun; both remind us not to become too serious and also remind us that anything is possible!
According to Ted Andrews, if coyote has shown up in my life I need to ask some important questions: Are those around me being too serious? Have I forgotten that play time is essential to health? Am I complicating what is really simple in some areas of my life? Is someone playing "tricks" on me? Interesting questions that I am pondering.
The coyote teaches us about the balance of wisdom and folly and how they go hand in hand. We are taught the that it's energies are tied to simplicity and trust and how to develop poise amidst the chaos of life. We are stimulated to renew innocence and reawaken childlike wisdom in response to the world around us. Coyote also reminds us that true teachers (which he certainly is!) have a wonderful sense of humor. Through coyote we are assisted in a reawakening process of the intellect, creativity, the artistic mind and all of the intuitive faculties.
Today I am focusing on coyote wisdom and how it will lead me. Thank you coyote for showing up in my life and being persistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment