Friday, September 27, 2013

Harvest

The garden in my sanctuary, the church of my back yard.  I have always known that.  I have harvested, as needed during the season, great herbs, veggies and flowers with absolute delight!  Last night, knowing that there will be a killing frost tonight, I harvested buckets of basil, chard, lovage, squash, tomatoes and some flowers.  The gourds will remain for a few weeks and they I will be able to find all of them! My hands were stained brownish green and smelled so good I never wanted to wash them!
This morning I finished the harvest with deep gratitude as I harvested potatoes.  I was gifted with many pounds of those little red beauties.  As I rummaged around in the small patch I could not help but think how blessed I am and what deep gratitude I felt!
Lastly, and with more words of thanks, I cut the remaining vibrant flowers that have provided a riot of color
all during the season.  Cosmos, corn flowers, poppies, and some greens.  They now sit all through my home, reminding me of beauty, grace, gifts, magic, the seasons and cycles of life.  I contemplate in great joy and gratitude.
Harvest!

No comments:

Post a Comment