Friday, January 28, 2011

The Redwings Return!



I first noticed the chorus yesterday; I was transported to another place! I sat, eyes closed in the sun, listening. Their song went straight to my heart and gave my soul wings. It always does. I soared. What is it about that little "cluck, cluck, cluck, trill, trill trill" that finds my core so quickly? It has been so for years. I love the little chickadee chirp but it is the Redwing that puts me in trance, in ecstasy! The music has begun and my soul appreciates.


I read a piece from Cathedrals of the Spirit by T.C. McLuhan the other day that came to mind this morning. It is by Stephanie Kaza.

"Breathing in, breathing out. Slow deep inhale, slow deep exhale. Quieting the body, quieting the mind. I woke up this morning under the graceful, arching branches of bay laurels and Douglas firs. All night the trees have been conversing under the full moon, weaving me into their stories, capturing my dreams with their leaning limbs and generous trunks. Breathing together as I slept, as they rested, we danced quietly in the summer night. Their great confidence framed a circle for my waking; their study presence offered an invitation to be still."

The song of the Redwing this morning, under the full, warm morning sun evoked the same feeling in me as Stephanie's words did the other day at the full of the moon. Bliss. I feel so alive and grateful this morning.


1 comment:

  1. I love the redwings, too! We won't be seeing them here in Western Mass for a while yet, but I look forward to their return.
    Heavenly song!

    ReplyDelete